Friday 20 March 2009

Evaluation

After finishing my film opening I am happy with the outcome and the final edited piece of work. I feel we met all are required targets building moments of suspense and scaring the audience at times with the Monk. I feel I was able to create the suspenseful tension needed to scare the audience. I was happy with the editing that went into the project. Fade ins were used effectively to show time from one scene to another and the cuts from different clips changed in pace to create excitement and a relaxed feeling in the audience when it changes from the driving scene and the chase scene. The sound used in is media I felt was used effectively to create the correct emotions needed during the film opening. Slow songs for the intro, haunting music for the dream and dramatic music was used to make the chase and suicide scene more shocking. I feel the Mise-en-scene in our opening was used well to help give different impression of the characters. With the Monk we made him look mysterious with his dark overhanging hood and we wanted the two male characters to look like ordinary men so we used are own clothes to make it seem more realistic. I was happy with the lighting used in the opening the only lighting we used in any of the scenes were in the bedroom scenes due to it being too dark. I feel we made it look light so you can see Sams face clearly shile still being able to be convinced it's night time. I feel we met the 15 certificate boundaries well and didn’t film anything that may step into 18 certificates. I was really happy with the final piece and feel it looked near a professional standard. To make the scene look of a high quality we changed the contrast and brightness to help make the clips look clearer and take away the pixilation which made the opening look like a bad quality production. Overall I think our project was a great success and I am happy with the outcome.


Audience feedback

After showing are project to an audience we have been told that are opening does create tension and makes people jump at certain parts. We have also been told that it keeps them on the edge of there seat during the build up to the suicide scene and the choice in music works well in creating emotions for the audience throughout. The audience were convinced by the Monk and felt his costume and make-up was done well. The only problem for the audience was making sense. Some people were confused by why the man was committing suicide but understood later on. The main Idea for a film opening is not giving to much away to fast so in a way it was a good thing in the end and we feel the rest of the opening flows well and the audience were impressed with the use of music and wide selection of camera shots.



Appendix


D: When it came to location we decided straight away on St. Anne's hill due to it large range of different scenery hills and drops and look out points along with dark woodland perfect for the Monk.

In the fist set of scenes the locations used were:

-Motorway bridge overlooking St. Anne's hill
-Roads leading to the hill
-The outside of my house.

The second part of the openings locations were:

-My bedroom
-Woods in St. Anne’s Hill

The Third part of the opening shots locations were:

-The entrance to St. Anne's hill
-The centre of St. Anne’s hill on flat woodland with little trees
-The look out point
-The ledge overlooking the drop
-A tree in my garden with the bird



E:

We tried not to use too much equipment so the filming was not over complicated and we found this to work well to are advantage. The Cameras we used needed to film well in the dark and the light so we used the following.

-Cannon with 500xoptical zoom
-Small Sony able to film shots in tight angles e.g. the car

The equipment used to contribute to the quality of the shots are as followed:

-Two basic camera tripods
-steady cam
-small pull out tripod for the car

We also used a microphone for the little dialogue we have at the end


A:

This is our storyboard and due to being unable to acquire a working scanner it has not yet been posted but it has been done correctly and checked by a teacher and I will try to post it as soon as I can.

C:

Individual evaluation

I was the main camera man and editer during this piece of work. During the process of making the film opening I was responcible for planning and filming vital shots then editing them to make them the best I could at a high quality. The ideas I am most happy with would have to be the dream scene with the shots of the monk and Sam inbetween, I feel this was very effective and created alot of fear and tension in the audience. I was also happy with my idea for the suicide scene and location choice because I feel this is the best moment in the film along with it's music and slow motion effect I feel it has the greatest effect on the audience. I was happy with my idea of the bird flying away after the suicide shot, I feel the bird imitated the man hitting the ground and flew off as if he was scared of the noise of him landing. I helped come up with Ideas such as the main charector of the Monk after researching into the hill when i was told about it's history. I studied similar horror films such as 1408, Dead silence and Halloween and concentrated on music and camera shots along with editing methods to help me when I was coming up with I deas for our production. I provided funds for the monks costume that we brought from fairy god mothers to use as mise-en-scene. I was happy with my contribution towards the media production. I think the main reason we did so well is because I was inspired to make a good film opening with the storyline we wrote up. I tried to direct alot of the production helping the actors to give us the best shots and move in the right position when i was filming the scenes. I had a contribution in most of the filming and a large part of the editing along with helping towards decision making, Music and the storyline. I was really inspired by the storyline after thinking it up and was really happy with are chosen place of filming which was near my house. I made my own house available for the filming of the bedroom scene and the driving scene.

I was also happy with my group member’s contribution and felt they helped a lot in decision making and making the storyline make good sense and in helping filming some shots and helping me in others to achieve the greatest outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment